Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Episode 199: Ultima Ratio Plebium

Play Now!

I will maintain as long as I am able to speak that we must learn from history, if only to avoid making mistakes already made… well, making them again… and again… and…. I look back to the Crash of the 1930s in this Episode 199: Ultima Ratio Plebium.


My title's inspiration.


In this episode, I recalled: a bit of David McRaney's book You Are Not So Smart, the book I covered in my last show; and the detail about the "last argument of kings," which I originally encountered in Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash. I read from: Michael Perino's The Hellhound of Wall Street: How Ferdinand Pecora's Investigation of the Great Crash Forever Changed American Finance; and my quickie dictionary.

Musically, I threw in a bit of Podington Bear at the end, with "Feather". KMFDM backed Mr. Ceglowski in the opener, and I close today with Mistle Thrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment