Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Episode 200: Shees Reminded Me of Science!

Play Now!

Time to review my first experiment conducted to try to determine if my phone listens to me… when it should not. To see if I manscaped well or if I nicked the berries, check out Episode 200: Shees Reminded Me of Science!.

In this episode, I read from: Shoshana Zuboff's book The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight For a Human Future At The New Frontier of Power; and bits of selected spam sent by random shees. I reference an article concerning a patent held by Zuckerfuck's company the Effin' Bees.

(Oh, you really should see that article, if only to marvel at the picture they provided. It shows old Marky Zuck sitting at (I assume) his desk. Some sharp eyes noticed that on Zuck's computer, pieces of tape blocked the built-in camera and microphone jack. I guess if you know exactly what dangers lurk around those supposedly innocent devices, exactly what nefarious and evil people can do with them without your knowledge, you can't call it paranoia.)

Musically, KMFDM opens the show with "Attak" backing Shoshana Zuboff's warning of the hidden dangers of surveillance capitalism. Julie and Rolf and the Campfire Gang close the show with "Over the Rainbow."

Again, if you leave me a message here, remember that I'll be laid up for a few weeks, so allow some time before I answer.

5 comments:

  1. Heyyy I'm not sure I've actually written since your knee procedure. Hope you're on the mend. It was nice to hear our full conversation pieced together! I am waiting with bated breath to hear about your further scientific experiments, and I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates are waiting too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kevin. Yes, the knee is on the… bend. (Keeping it straight for a over a month just sucked.)

      It was nice to hear our full conversation pieced together!

      Yeah, that was a treat when I was editing. People should have more structured, detached conversations that become a part of the public record! (/snark)

      I am waiting with bated breath to hear about your further scientific experiments….

      Let me tell you right now that, after review, I've decided the next experiment would have to be so monumentally different as to exclude mere plebes like myself from contemplating its execution. I might say more about those musings, but not in the limited confines of a comment section… owned by the largest advertiser in the world.

      Interested in an email exchange of same?

      Later!

      —Jim

      Delete
    2. Also, geeky kudos on using the proper spelling of "bated," as in the Shakespearean truncation of "abated."

      Delete
    3. Heh! I know that you like to be precise with words!
      Sure I'd love to hear what other thoughts you have about testing cell phones. I participated in your experiment because I often wonder about the same questions!!

      Delete
    4. Prepare to have your email bombarded by complexity!

      Delete