Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Episode 180: KSD The Calvinistic Worship of Toil

Play Now!

Something fascinating happened 90 years ago; but today, almost no one knows about it. Knowing it was amazing requires, though, knowing what happened… before. I try to correct that historical loss in this Episode 180: The Calvinistic Worship of Toil.

In this episode, I read from: Harvey J. Kaye's book, Thomas Paine and the Promise of America; Jenny Odell's book, How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy; my computer's quickie dictionary; and, of course, Benjamin Hunnicutt's book Kellogg's Six-Hour Day. You'll be hearing quite a bit from that book in installments for this series, of course.

I play: a few snippets from The Hucksters, most from Sydney Greenstreet's evil character; and a bit of his brand of soap. Also musically, I play Podington Bear doing "Running On Empty". Henry Giroux opens the show back by KMFDM; and I close with "Eight Hours", a tune I noted (and partially quoted) in the show, which I later found online!


That song! It was recently-ish recorded!

No comments:

Post a Comment