Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Episode 154: MFA Mander's Four Arguments: An Introduction

Play Now!

It should come as no surprise that, though influential and important, certain books suffer in reputation simply because they question more dominant media. I give an overview in such a book in this Episode 154: Mander's Four Arguments: An Introduction.

In this episode, I read from Jerry Mander's 1978 book, Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television. I also recount from memory interesting tidbits from Jane Brox's 2010 book Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light. In future episodes, I hope to use material from her book to support my quibble with Mander's insistence that electricity was the watershed invention that changed humanity forever. I also hope this will not diminish Mander's conclusions, but rather clarify them.

Music-wise, I played Lee Rosevere's "What's Behind The Door" throughout, including at the close, just for fun. I opened the show once again with KMFDM, this time backing Mark Stahlman's observation about television targeted advertising.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike, and non-commercial license.

No comments:

Post a Comment