Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Episode 123: The Fungus and Mould of The Obscenery

Play Now!

At the height of their popularity, patent medicine nostrum pushers engaged in so many extreme acts of outdoor commercial vandalism the era was termed The Age of Disfigurement. I describe it in this Episode 123: The Fungus and Mould of The Obscenery.

In this episode, I read from: James Harvey Young's 1961 book, The Toadstool Millionaires: A Social History of Patent Medicines in America before Federal Regulation; the Wikipedia page for Benjamin Brandreth*; and from my quickie dictionary. I play: a bit of Daffy Duck, first from "Ali Baba Bunny", and then from "The Abominable Snow Rabbit"; and a selection from Herman Melville's Moby Dick, read by Michael Bracewell. That selection came from something called the Moby Dick Big Read, where each chapter of the book is read by a different reader.

(I just finished The Big Read series myself; it was hit and miss, depending upon the reader in question. For you fans of Benedict Cumberbatch, though, I highly recommend his reading of the chapter called "Brit"; it is the best interpretation of the series by far. Oh, and you really must hear John Waters read the chapter regarding the whale's penis: it's the chapter called "The Cassock.")

Musically, I play Jahzzar doing "b-rain". I open with KMFDM backing Clark Gable, and close with Mistle Thrush.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike, and non-commercial license.

*I failed to mention both listener Vincent's pronunciation assistance and the Wiki page in the closing credits. I regret the omissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment