Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Episode 136: Something Amazing In The Air

Play Now!

Technology sometimes makes history dramatically, changing the way its witnesses think of the future forever. Today, I focus on one such unveiling, and link it to the first days of radio, in this Episode 136: Something Amazing In The Air.

In this episode, I mostly read from Stacy Schiff's A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America, an account of Benjamin Franklin and other of our country's founders stationed in Paris to advocate for their Revolutionary position.

Audio–wise, I was once again graced with listener Vincent doing me a solid and recording himself not just pronouncing the French names well beyond my Anglicized voice's ability, but also scolding me with some choice curses. Thank you very much, Vincent! Again, it is a treat for me to edit audio that while working on fitting the sounds in this show just makes me giggle. Oh, and keep listening, everybody, for a treat after the show's closing!

Musically, I play four from Podington Bear: First, there was "Midnight Blue", like the brothers' balloon; next, "Bright White"; and finally, appropriately, "Ideas". (The fourth Podington Bear tune, "Vox Bubble Rumba", was added in the extra feature at the end of the show; I regretfully didn't mention it in the closing credits.) KMFDM backs Clark Gable bitching about radio in the opening (which I played in the middle, because why not?), and I close the show with Mistle Thrush.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 share-alike, attribution, and non-commercial license.

No comments:

Post a Comment