Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Episode 135: Sweat the Petty Stuff

Play Now!

Most of us are today packing a small, flat tech rectangle, something that provides hours of staring opportunity. Is that gadget using its microphone to betray our secret desires? I'll dip into this possibility in this Episode 135: Sweat the Petty Stuff.

In this episode, I relate two funnies and a serious from co–worker Todd. I also read from a BBC article with a surprising number of amateur grammatical mistakes contained within.

I play: Jahzzar doing "Studie I"; Lee Rosevere's appropriately named "Under Suspicion"; and Podington Bear's "Post". (I must apologize! The links to that material will take, I guess, a few days to update. The music web site is down for maintenance. I will update the music links as soon as it's back up!) KMFDM opens the show backing Tim Bousquet; and I close with Mistle Thrush.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share–alike, and non-commercial license.

3 comments:

  1. I am soooo glad you posted this. My brother posted this article recently, and I argued it a bit. I thought it was established fact that Zuckky-boy admitted to doing this. But the only documentation I can find was this:
    Contractors Listened Without User Knowledge
    People raised the objection to me, that allegedly EffBook used third-party contractors to expand their voice recognition, so supposedly there was a privacy firewall between EffBook and the people eavesdropping on you without your consent. But that only makes sense if we assume that these tech companies have ethics and morals.
    We know for a fact.
    That these companies.
    Do.
    Not.
    Have.
    Ethics.
    What part of "Move Fast and Break Things" do you not understand?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kevin!

      Wow, there's real blow-back on this, with Apple offering "users… the ability to choose to participate in grading," and others following suit. Cool!

      Then again, having humans evaluate voice-recog by machines is the go-to strategy for testing updates cost-effectively, so I imagine the practice will begin anew once the kerfuffle dies. Shoshana Zuboff goes into great detail… at multiple points… about how these companies adapt to outcries, only to wait out the societal opposition to whatever caused the outcry. So, we'll see.

      I will disagree with your assessment of these companies. They do have ethics.

      They have ethics.
      That.
      Support.
      Their.
      Profitability.

      They "Move Fast and Break Things" other than themselves.

      Later!

      —Jim

      Delete
  2. I mean, you have to be pretty trusting to assume that EffBook rigidly followed an ethical code with a privacy firewall on a project that EffBook didn't actually tell the public about in the first place.

    ReplyDelete