Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Episode 131: The Keys to the Treasure

Play Now!

Online advertising is now an insufferable bastard. It forces regulators to verbally suck up to those they oversee, and journalists to participate in the crimes on which they report. I share this hot ironic mess in Episode 131: The Keys to the Treasure.

In this episode, I read from: the British Information Commissioner's Office report (a PDF) titled "Update report into adtech and real time bidding"; John Patrick Leary's book Keywords: The New Language of Capitalism; and an article that discusses the ICO's report called "Behavioural advertising is out of control, warns UK watchdog". Sound-bite-wise, I play: Indigo Montoya's observation on definitional accuracy from the 1987 movie The Princess Bride; and, once again, Pee Wee Herman's observation about big buts.

Musically, I play: Podington Bear's "Forces" and "Lost and Found"; Lee Rosevere's "Quizitive"; and Omyiga's "Cripple Pigeon". KMFDM backs a new intro with a man named Maciej Ceglowski. Listener Kevin sent me that perfect sound-bite recommendation. The entirety of his talk is also worth a watch. Of course, I close with Mistle Thrush.

You can find links to all of that material at the show notes at AttackAdsPodcast.Blogspot.com. I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike, and non-commercial license.

No comments:

Post a Comment