Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Episode 246: Why The Rent Is Too Damned High

Play Now!

Most people today feel they have can choose from whichever experts best confirm their own deeply-seated beliefs. Sadly, this is wrong, and to understand how wrong, I try to answer the question of Episode 246: Why The Rent Is Too Damned High.

In this episode, I read from: two articles from The American Prospect magazine. I also paraphrased a notable quote from Whitelaw Reid, one dating back to 1875, and one that should be forever repeated. By everyone.

I play: a quote about economics that appeared on the short-lived television cartoon version of Dilbert.

Musically, I play: KMFDM backing Cory Doctorow opining about the breakdown of societal norms concerning experts. I close with Mistle Thrush.

2 comments:

  1. ATPCO (whose BS I am way too familiar with from my decade working on airfare search) is pronounced with the first three as letters followed by "Co" like the abbreviation for "corporation", it's "ay tee pee ko".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, L33t! It sounds like they used the premise of first invoking the TLA, then ended with the Co. Typical.

    There is no way I could have guessed at that, though I must confess it was fun to say it as many ways as I could think of. I just didn't think of the *right* one.

    Later!

    —Jim

    ReplyDelete