Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Episode 48: The Affront of an Upfront

Play Now!

Something happened late last April which has been bugging me ever since. I cover the insult not just in the event itself, but in the name given such events, in this Episode 48: The Affront of an Upfront.

To support my notion that this was indeed an insult, I read from an NPR press release concerning the offending event; from Ira Glass's May 13 rebuttal of critics of that event; and from Fairness and Accuracy in Media's magazine "Extra!" and their criticism of both the event and of Glass's dissemination in "Current." I also read a Wikipedia entry giving a specific definition of an "upfront"; and close reading from Upton Sinclair's 1920 book, The Brass Check. (Specifically, the Sinclair passages read come from pages: 104; 130; 196-197; 178; 256; 365-366; 382; and 8-9.)

I provided background noises from various sources, including an online video hyping the public radio podcasting event, and music from Jahzzar (doing "Bankrupt") and Podington Bear (doing "Fragile, Do Not Drop"). Once again, the Bruce Livesey/KMFDM introduction starts the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment