Monday, October 22, 2018

Episode 113: Drab Walls Dance… With Ads

Play Now!

Once again, I focus my attention on an inflection point, a moment in history when a technological improvement allows manufacturers to apply that tech in a new and previously impossible way. Today's technology is the color poster that, when introduced, made Episode 113: Drab Walls Dance With Ads.


More Chéret! More!


In this episode, I read extensively once again from Tim Wu's 2016 book The Attention Merchants: The Epic Struggle to Get Inside Our Heads. Musically, I play: Graham Bole's "Sunset at Goat Fell"; Lee Rosevere's "What's Behind The Door"; and Podington Bear's "Submerging Blue-Black". KMFDM backs Clark Gable in the opening. I close the show once again with Mistle Thrush.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike, and non-commercial license.

Special help came today from listener Vincent who gave me much needed assistance with the French language. In the course of editing a show together, I have seldom had as much opportunity to just… giggle. Thank you, Vincent! Your contribution was perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! i heard a soundbite of my voice in episode 123, it reminded me to say, for this one, 113, good job! Well, as always... The content is edifying and fun,but this one feel special to me of course (and a little weird, obviously when you're not used to hear your voice on speakers), cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Vincent!

      I only hope it was as much fun hearing your contribution as it was for me stitching the episode together. Again, that editing session was just giggly!

      Thanks again!

      —Jim

      Delete