Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Episode 103: The Boob's Halo & Halo's Boob

Play Now!

Ever wonder where the term "soap opera" comes from? After all, there are a variety of products sponsoring today's daytime serial dramas, not just soaps. It turns out that that wasn't always the case. In the past, only one sponsor dominated individual programs, as I'll demonstrate in Episode 103: The Boob's Halo & Halo's Boob.

In this episode, I read from: a footnote in Thomas Picketty's Capital in the Twentieth Century; from my computer's quickie dictionary; and from Victor Pickard's book, America's Battle for Media Democracy (NB: Link to a PDF preview of the book. Also, I neglected to mention Mr. Pickard's book in the show's concluding credits. I regret the omission.) I exerted quite a bit from a toothpaste company comedy hour featuring Spike Jones and the City Slickers Orchestra that aired February 11, 1950.

I also play: Lee Rosevere's "Last Call"; and Podington Bear's "Ideas" and "Crafty". I open with KMFDM backing Bruce Livesey's observations about the power of business interests; and I close with Spike Jones.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike, and non-commercial license.

6 comments:

  1. French listener here. Always listening with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, the 'Play Now!' link doesn't seem to be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh! Sorry, Michael. All fixed now. (I forgot the equals sign in the hyperlink.)

      More worrying, Blogger seems to have dropped email notices to my regular address (hence the delay). Another thing to figure out.

      Thanks for the heads up!

      Jim

      Delete