Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Episode 211: Back To Basics

Play Now!

Parody goes beyond laughter: it can help all of us see silliness in what we never questioned; help us see our naked marching monarch. I explore ideas I've had, along with terms others have coined on this topic, in this Episode 211: Back To Basics.

In this episode, I read from: my computer's quickie dictionary; a Wikipedia article on détournement; and Tim Wu's book The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads.


Now that's sublime détournement!


I play: a hilarious excerpt from The Dana Carvey Show; and an excerpt with John Roderick and Ken Jennings, from their podcast Omnibus. Once again, it was a treat to have listener Vincent complain about my horrific attempts to speak his native language. Thanks again, Vincent. (Oh, and since a recent episode concerned animal husbandry and the care of waste, I had Vincent read the curses "cow" and "shit." Just for fun!)

Musically, KMFDM back the first intro I ever used with Dmitri Orlov spouting a timeless truth. I close today with Julie & Rolf & The Campfire Gang doing "Over The Rainbow".

No comments:

Post a Comment