Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Episode 122: A Map Without Utopia

Play Now!

There's a lot wrong out there, but it's not enough to simply point it out and shout, at least for me. If you insist on wandering through Wrongville, you may never get to leave if you have only this Episode 122's title: A Map Without Utopia.

In this episode, I discuss extemporaneously, without script, free style, a few discussion points, all while showing why my various first titles were just plain unacceptable. I bitch about the lack of an Internal Revenue Service pre-filing preparation service, as is common in many other countries. I groan about the Supreme Court's erosion over time of a workable definition of corruption. I wail about how the big banks, being largely silent owners of pay-day lending operations, pay to keep legislators silent about pay-day lending operations, and mention the movie Maxed Out that discusses just this. I also give a passing whine about how drug distributors made some bank by spreading the geld and redefining how much damage they could do before what they did became illegal. Finally, I quote Oscar Wilde.

I play: the Bee Gees, in reference to Bob and Brooke from On The Media; D. L. Myers, invoking the Powell Movement; and longest-time listener L33t Minion (well, longest-time voluntary listener, at least, with apologies to Bleak Nemesis for not mentioning him more often), who voiced today's "great." KMFDM and Justice John Paul Stevens give the opening, and I close once again with Mistle Thrush.

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike, and non-commercial license.

No comments:

Post a Comment