Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Episode 106: Summer Vacation Homework

Play Now!

For reasons too mundane to explain, I've got a short episode this time, one with three pleas for listener participation. Give a listen. I think at least a few listeners might be interested in the topics, and be willing to contribute. Hence, Episode 106: Summer Vacation Homework.

Here's the link to the alternate rules to Elizabeth Maggie's The Landlord's Game. Other than that, I only have one quote from an online article this time, along with the KMFDM intro with Henry Giroux opening the show, and Julie singing and Rolf on the uke for the close. By the time I release this episode, I'll be packing up after camping with both of them around the campfire once again, hopefully with a field recorder filled with new tunes!

I'm releasing this and all my episodes under a Creative Commons 4.0, share-alike, attribution, and non-commercial license.

Important Post Script! I learned the night before posting this episode that Blogger, the folks hosting these show notes, has a malfunction underway since May, a gefuckening that prevents me from getting notice of comments you post the usual way, through my email. This means I have to do something else to even check for the existence of comments, which is more cumbersome, and therefore is something I will do less often. Meaning, if you haven't heard back from me, don't panic. I will get to your comments, that I promise. I can't, though, promise when.

2 comments:

  1. Jim,

    I enjoy your podcast, thank you. (KMO turned me on to it.) I live in KC and on Saturday heard a speaker named Nancy MacLean at a workshop/fundraiser for our community radio station. I wasn't familiar with her but was impressed enough to buy her new book: Democracy in Chains. She is a history professor at Duke who stumbled upon a connection between an economist named James McGill Buchanan and Charles Koch. The book is fascinating. It claims to put the pieces together showing the true aspirations of the libertarian-leaning, Koch cadre. I looked up Lewis Powell in the index and there are only two minor references to him (and his famous memo.) After listing to your podcasts, I can confidently predict you will dig this book. - Brent Ragsdale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brent!

      You are correct in your prediction. I heard Nancy MacLean on This Is Hell, got her book from the library, and loved what I read so much I hunted down a copy. It's sitting on the top of my pile just to the right of my hand as I type.

      So far, I only have four little sticky notes sticking out of it indicating passages I found note-worthy; however, with this book, the passages often go on for pages, which might be why I haven't finished taking those notes.

      That said, I have mentioned her before on the show, albeit only once, in Episode 93. I also mentioned Buchanan, but only regarding his probable coining of the term "counterintelligentsia." Don't worry if you don't remember; it was, after all, from last January. I didn't remember myself until I searched her name in my old scripts.

      I really should have mentioned her more, but I had yet to finish the book, and was focusing on Lewis Powell. Just speculating, but I wonder if that was the reason she didn't mention Powell more: just as my focus was on Powell, her's was on Buchanan. Broaden the focus too much and you end up with a book too thick to finish.

      Anyhoo, thanks very much for the recommendation. I can't count the number of times listeners have inspired new episodes. Even if I had read the material, on at least two occasions the recommendation focused on an element I had missed (or totally misinterpreted), forcing me to re-read, re-consider, and re-record. As I promised in Episode 93, I will revisit her book, once I've finished with Tim Wu's and gotten through this blasted attic-baking heat that keeps wigging out my old studio computer.

      Thanks again, Brent!

      —Jim

      Delete