Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Episode 74: Bunkum

Play Now!

(This episode is part of the series The Powell Movement.)

One bit of claptrap, as I pointed out in my last episode, can be called gobbledygook. The same can be said for one bit of bunk, true; but I'd like to expand the meaning of the word just a bit to refer to the coordinated fraud in its entirety that takes place in perpetrating falsehood for profit in this Episode 74: Bunkum.

In this episode, you'll hear me reading from a Wikipedia article on bunkum; from Upton Sinclair's books The Goose Step and The World's End Vol. 1; and from Joshua Green's October 8, 2015 Bloomberg article called "This Man Is the Most Dangerous Political Operative in America". I excerpted Mr. Green talking about his article from his On The Media interview with BG Brooke; and a bit from a December, 1953 radio episode of Dragnet called "The Big Pick." I once again got voice help from D. L. Myers reading Mr. Powell's Memo.

Musically, I played Jahzzar doing "Trap" and Podington Bear doing "Dark Water." I opened with KMFDM and Henry Giroux, and closed with Mistle Thrush's "It's All Like Today."

I'm releasing this, as well as all of my episodes, under a Creative Commons 4.0 attribution, share-alike and non-commercial license.

No comments:

Post a Comment