Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Episode 42: More Self Evidence, Less Mud

Play Now!

In a continuation and conclusion to Episode 41, today's Episode 42: More Self Evidence, Less Mud, I get around to doing what I suspect the folks at Planet Money failed to do, to actually read the 1930 John Maynard Keynes essay, "Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren." I'm glad I did. Given the way economists today talk, his message was (if a bit confusing in ways I attempt to address) completely unexpected.

Other than Planet Money's episode #641, "Why We Work So Much," I play an ad that ran in a former episode of that show. Further, taking a lead from David Puttnam's TED Talk, "Does the media have a 'duty of care'?" I check and, sure enough, Planet Money has yet to correct the record by correcting the mistake it made way back in March of 2014 in their episode #524 "Me and Mr. Jones." I checked: their mistake stands to this day. Hey, check for yourself!

Musically, I felt the haunting music of Ga'an's "Living Tribunal" well expressed the horror of having a bank sponsor a show supposedly dedicated to teaching its audience about the workings of money. Tim Bousquet and KMFDM provided the show's opening.

2 comments:

  1. Hi- Would it be possible to make your podcast available through Itunes? Much as I find Apple difficult on many levels, the ability to download podcasts and move them to my Ipod is pretty easy and convenient and is the way I do almost all the content I listen to during the week.
    I heard your talk with KMO and I am intrigued but love it if it were easier for me to get hold of.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Geoffrey,

      Thanks for the kind words, and welcome! I should spend today getting things together for an iTunes launch. I'm starting to get requests like yours, whereas before, not so much. Many fewer listeners, don't ya know.

      In the meantime, you can load the podcast address into iTunes manually. Take this code: http://attackads.libsyn.com/rss .

      Call up iTunes. Select "File", drop down and select "Subscribe to Podcast."

      Paste that code into the box, and hit "OK."

      You should be subscribed! Let me know if you have any difficulties, as we might be running two very different versions of tunage.

      -Jim

      Delete